Difference between revisions of "Caroline Arch"

From IxWiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m
m
 
Line 50: Line 50:
 
| namesake            = [[Caroline Wars]]
 
| namesake            = [[Caroline Wars]]
 
| groundbreaking_date =  
 
| groundbreaking_date =  
| start_date          = 1854
+
| start_date          = [[1854]]
 
| stop_date          =  
 
| stop_date          =  
 
| est_completion      = [[1859]]
 
| est_completion      = [[1859]]
Line 124: Line 124:
  
 
[[Category: Apostolic Kingdom of Urcea]]
 
[[Category: Apostolic Kingdom of Urcea]]
 +
[[Category: Buildings]]

Latest revision as of 14:28, 14 August 2019

Caroline Arch
Arc de Triomphe (Paris) (1).jpg
The Caroline Arch in 2029.
Alternative namesAedanican Arch
General information
TypeTriumphal Arch
Architectural styleNeoclassicism
LocationOldtown, Urceopolis, Urcea
Country Urcea
Named forCaroline Wars
Construction started1854
Estimated completion1859
OwnerGovernment of Urcea
Height164 ft

The Caroline Arch is one of the most famous monuments in Urceopolis, Urcea. The Caroline Arch those who fought and died for Urcea in the Caroline Wars, with the names of all Urcean victories and generals inscribed on its inner and outer surfaces throughout the three conflicts. The arch specifically focuses on Urcea's triumph in the Third Caroline War. Beneath its vault lies the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier from the Great War. Its iconographic program pits heroically nude Urcean youths against bearded Gothic warriors in chain mail. It set the tone for public monuments with triumphant patriotic messages.

Designed in 1852 following Urcea's victory in the Third Caroline War, the arch was adopted as the first of several major building projects in Urceopolis during the Aedanicad. Funded personally by King Aedanicus VIII, two years were spent looking for a location before the triumphal arch was constructed in Oldtown in Urceopolis in the plaza in front of the Praetorium. The arch was opened to the public on March 1st, 1859, with a mass celebrated under the Arch which was followed by a parade of veterans, lead by the last surviving veteran of the War of the Caroline Succession. In the opening ceremony, King Aedanicus formally adopted the agnomen Carolinicus in line with the tria nomina system adopted the year before.

Upon its completion, it was the first triumphal arch built in Urceopolis in more than fourteen hundred years, as the last one had been built in the waning days of Great Levantia.