The Grand Abbey of Germais
|Town Hall||Maison de Bealfort|
|• Mayor||Glaivie MacOinish|
Bealfort means “fort at the mouth of a river” and refers to the town and Abby's role in the Great Confessional War as a bastion against protestant forces who first tried to make a landing at the town in 1456.
The original Grand Abbey of Germais was built in 985. The order built a brickworks and a vineyard that became a local trading hub. Its position at the mouth of the Firdh River made it ideal for trade between that area and the Isle of Burgundie. A town built up around the conveyance of bricks and wine. During the Burgundian Renaissance the area became associated with watch and clock making as the brickworks failed. At first, the timepieces were clunky and of low quality as the monks had been previously simple laborers. By 1604, the term “Germais timepiece” started to develop a modicum of notoriety, at least in Northern Levantia. The Abby built an astronomical clock between 1585 and 1626 to demonstrate its prowess. The mechanism was so complicated that when the main clockmaker died of an infection caused by a splinter he got while building the clock the clock was unable to be maintained properly. The clock, while a symbol of the watches and clocks made by the monks, lay broken from 1631 until 1847. Following the Northern Levantine Mediazation War the Abbey was mediaized to the town of Bealfort. As part of the various efforts to establish or regain the greatest of independent Burgundie the mayor encouraged a group of local businessmen to invest in refurbishing the clock. Being built into the wall of the Abbey, the monks protested but where unable to fix it themselves. In 1845 the monks relented in the face of financial trouble but insisted that the businessmen only hire a master horologist and that they provide the labor and to apprentice to the master. The clocks renovation was completed in 1847 and sparked interest in ornate timepieces across Burgundie. Those seeking to buy and those seeking the skills to build clocks flocked to the Abbey. In 1886 the monks opened a secular school for horology and clockmaking.