Port St. Brendan
Rectory of Port St. Brendan
Overseas territory of Urcea
|Capital City||Port St. Brendan|
|• Rector||Conall Cormacius|
The Rectory of Port St. Brendan is a equatorial overseas possession of Urcea. Previously a possession of Burgundie and part of Port de Vent, the island was ceded to Urcea as part of the Levantia and Odoneru Treaty Association's efforts to achieve unified theater operations surrounding Insui. The island, critically, serves as a point from which access to Vallos could be commanded; consequently, it has served as home of the Far Western Squadron of the Royal Navy, which was specifically created to be based on the island. Since the end of the Occidental Cold War and beginning of The Deluge, it has served as an important port between Levantia and north Western Crona for commerce originating in southern Sarpedon.
The island to be known as Port. St Brendan was originally known as "Modtha" by its Sarpic inhabitants, who colonized the island sometime in the 900s BC. Remote and sparsely populated, the island was variously claimed by many powers but never formally incorporated until the 19th century, though missionaries from Insui had converted the locals to Levantine Catholicism in the early 1500s. In 1826, Burgundie seized Port de Vent and the island that was to become Port St. Brendan in, initiating the Battle of the Kindreds Sea. Following the formal integration of the island into the Burgoignesc Thalassocracy, a flood of Calvinist patroons from elsewhere in the thalassocracy settled Port de Vent. Catholic settlers arriving from Levantia in the 1840s found the Protestant majority there relatively intolerant and decided to instead relocate to the small island of Modtha. There, they established Port St. Brendan in 1847, named for the patron saint of mariners. The island would reach a population - primarily of mixed Bergendii and Sarpic ethnicity - of more than 5,000 by 1870, which was greater than at any point in history but largely dwarfed by Port de Vent. Although obscure, the island continued to thrive in the early 20th century as the Brenedine culture was born. Replacing the small villages were five major cities in which the new culture and growing island would center around, four of which whose original Burgoignesc names - Villeurleme, Bescanson, Buntonille, and Graguilles - would eventually become renamed according to the Brenedine dialect - Villurlamen, Bes Canson, Butanhel, and Grageise.
Port St. Brendan was seriously threatened during the Great War but never attacked, though the Caphirian Imperial Naval Fleet often raided around the island. Following the war, the island once again began to prosper as a small port for international trade. The expansion of the role of the Levantia and Odoneru Treaty Association during the Occidental Cold War gave the island sudden strategic importance, and it was ceded by Burgundie to Urcea in 1954 as part of the LOTA Basing Initiative to improve mutual defense and cooperation in the theater surrounding Insui. The treaty ceding the island stipulated that the Armed Forces of the Apostolic Kingdom of Urcea should construct their bases, excepting naval ports, outside the five cities in the interest of protecting the organic urban development and cultural history of the island. In the years that followed, the island's population swelled with presence of the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force, as the island was positioned to be on the first line of defense against a surprise attack on the western coast of Insui. Since the end of the Occidental Cold War and Assumption Accords, the military presence on the island has been dramatically reduced, though the Government of Urcea has been investing heavily in the air- and seaport infrastructure of the island in order to have it become a larger destination for trade and tourism.
The vast majority of permanent residents of Port St. Brendan are Brenedines, an ethnic group native to the island. Urcean people make up a tiny minority - probably no more than a thousand - but during the peak of military operations, temporary Urcean military personnel far outnumber that of the local population. The Brenedines speak a local, Sarpic-influenced dialect of Burgoignesc, though terms from Julian Ænglish and Lebhan have entered the common vocabulary since Urcea's acquisition of the island. Nearly every resident of the island is Levantine Catholic as a consequence of missionary activity and Urcean influence.
Port St. Brendan is officially a Rectory of Urcea, which, like some other overseas possessions, is organized under an official appointed by the Procurator and confirmed by the Concilium Daoni, called a Rector. Due to the island's size and small population, there are no administrative divisions on the island, though there are five municipal governments which exist directly under the Rectory's administration. These municipalities, which encompass the vast majority of the island's land area, are charged by the Rector with the daily administration of the island. The vast majority of the island's permanent population - more than 20,000 - live within the five cities. Outside of the municipalities is the so-called "Common Land", directly administered by the Rectory authority and the Armed Forces of the Apostolic Kingdom of Urcea, which bases outside the major cities according to the treaty ceding the island.
|Port St. Brendan||14,304|