Talk:History of Burgundie
This article is a incomplete because it is pending further input from participants, or it is a work-in-progress by one author.
Please comment on this article's talk page to share your input, comments and questions.
Note: To contribute to this article, you may need to seek help from the author(s) of this page.
- 1 The Proto-Burgundians c.200BC-700AD
- 2 Helvianirian Northern Levantia c.800s-1080
- 3 Christensen Dynasty c.1079–1417
- 4 Kuhlfrosi Province of Burgundie c.1450s-1812
- 5 Burgundian Industrial Revolution and Trade Route Empire 1812–1904
- 6 Pax Burgundia 1904–1974
- 7 Second Burgundian Renaissance 1976-present
The Proto-Burgundians c.200BC-700AD
The earliest archeological evidence of life on Burgundie suggests that Levzeish peoples established settlements on the southern coast of the island of Burgundie around 200 BCE. They used dugout style canoes with outriggers to cross the 150 miles between mainland Levantia and Burgundie. They were likely part of a large expansion of the Levzeish people along the coast of Levantia. These “proto-Burgundians” established small coastal settlements and sustained themselves on fishing and small game hunting in the rich white cedar forests. Buffered from the mainland, the spread of Christianity and other Latium cultural influences, the “proto-Burgundians” remained primitive and isolated until at least the collapse of the Latium, circa 550-700.
Helvianirian Northern Levantia c.800s-1080
The collapse of the Latium gave rise to two successor states in Northern Levantia, the Germanic kingdom of Kuhlcia and the Gaelic kingdom of Froscland. These tribal kingdoms were in constant combat. The proto-Bugundians fell under the control of their cultural brethren in the kingdom of Froscland, but the island was devastated by the conflict. Historical evidence points to the population on the island dipping to less than 100 by the time of the arrival of the Helvianirian vikings. This is attributed both to the constant conflict and what historical epidemiologists believe was a Pneumonic plague. This left the northern coast of Levantia unprotected and ripe for the Helvianirian viking invasions throughout the 9th and 10th centuries. By 1000 Helvianirian vikings controlled the Northern half of Kuhlfros, and enslaved the conquered populations. The remaining Kuhlcians and Frosclanders defended desperately from the Tiberian Wall until the formation of the Kingdom of Kuhlfros, by King Douglas Macrae I 'The Builder' who united Germans and Gaels under one banner and led the conquests to push the Helvianirian vikings back into the sea.
Helvianirian vikings created a settlement on the island, and called it BergesSee to commemorate Great Chief Berge the Bold who drowned in a storm off the coast. It became an important Viking hub in the continuing raiding and invasions of northern Levantia due to its proximity and lush white cedar forests used in repairing and making new Longship and Knarr.
Helvianirian Colony of Bergeshavn c.995–1079
By 930 a series of permanent settlements and logging camps had been set up on the island, particularly on the south eastern coast. The largest of these settlements, Bergeshavn, boasted a year round population of 700. In the sailing season, April-October, the town’s population would swell to 2,000. Enterprising landowners built boarding houses whose living quarters were converted into warehouses during the winter months. These landowners started to refer to themselves as BergesMenn and a cultural shift saw them associate less and less with the Helvianirian homeland and more closely with their Levantine based viking brethren.
Soon the BergesSee shipyards were considered the finest in the area. Merchants from across Levantia and Great Kirav established trade routes to Bergeshavn and a new system of trade was established. Any merchant wishing to buy a BergesKnarr was given one for free, as long as he surrendered the ship he arrived on and was willing to sell his wares at a 5% discount to the locals. This lead to an intense sense of commonwealth as all members of the community had to work together in order to facilitate such a scheme.
Shipwrights dissected the foreign ships and improved their designs with elements from the incoming maritime cultures. The unused ships were then scuttled off the southern coast. This area is currently renowned across Greater Ixnay as one of the most archaeologically significant ship boneyards of antiquity.
By the turn of the first millennium German, Latin or Gaelic, were as commonly spoken as the native viking language. BergenMenn were welcoming to all of their guests and absorbed their cultures/languages/religions with a veracity unknown to most viking settlements.
Christianization in Burgundie is claimed to have started before the turn of the millennium but is officially dated to 1003 when the first recorded deed for a church was issued. Mattius, a disgraced Kuhlfrosian disciple of The Order of Saint Alsander, arrived in Bergeshavn in 1002 to avoid the consequences of a dispute he had with his elders for having been discovered to have had relations resulting a child.
Upon arriving in Bergeshavn he gave religious orations and lead a series of debates in which he is said to have proven that Christianity was the sole religion of value to the people of Bergeshavn. His following soon raised the funds and constructed a wooden church, the BergesKirke, which was dedicated on Christmas Eve, 1003. The followers of Mattius, known colloquially as the Christensens, focused primarily on spreading the gospel in Bergeshavn and providing services to sailors for the first 20-30 years of their existence.
Around 1030, Mattius' 14 year old illegitimate son, Johann, met with the Grand Chief of BergesSee, Ovard Theisen, to seek official recognition of Christianity as the official religion of BergesSee. Theisen refused, and in boastful retort said he would hand over his Chiefdom to Johann if, “you can get every village chief in BergesSee to claim for Christ, you filthy Levantian bastard!”
Mattius and Johann set about proselytizing across the island, taking their entire congregation with them. Over the next 49 years the Christensens crossed the entire island many times in what became known as the “Long March” over to spread the gospel and gather the support of the village chiefs.
Mattius died on May 14th 1046, in a remote valley, likely of gangrene resulting from a fall that left him with a broken leg. A small obelisk survives to this day in the town of Mattiusvale and is the terminus of a ritual pilgrimage named after the “Long March” that the Church sponsors annually.
Having set out with only 140 supporters in 1031, Johann and the Christensens, returned to Bergeshavn in the fall of 1079 with the signatures of every village chief and 1,300 supporters to petition the Grand Chief for official recognition. The new Grand Chief Christoff I, a convert to Christianity, accepted the petition and declared BergesSee for Catholicism on Christmas Day in the BergesKirke, that had been recently restored, after having sat abandoned for 49 years. As part of his declaration he laid the cornerstone for what would become the Cathedral of St. Mattius.
Christensen Dynasty c.1079–1417
Grand Chief Christoff I appointed Johann as the first Archbishop of BergesSee and in return Johann petitioned the Pope to accept Christoff I as the sovereign prince of BergesSee. The Pope refused the petition and Johann’s appointment on the grounds that Johann was a bastard and had not received any accredited ecclesiastical training. Burning the letter upon receipt, Johann claimed to Christoff I that the Pope had accepted the terms.
- It is around this time that a misspelling of BergesSee as BergenSee starts to appear in the historical record. By 1160 it has almost completely replaced BergesSee.
Christoff I, being grateful to the Church, gave many holdings and built many churches throughout BergenSee, the greatest being the Cathedral of St. Mattius in Bergeshavn, now renamed Kongerhus. Under his reign the Archdiocese subdivided the island into 3 bishoprics, the Bishopric of NordHalle, Mattiusvale and Kongerhus. The bishopric of Kongerhus held no bishop but was controlled directly by the Archbishop of BergenSee. The Crown and Church consolidated the power across the island and invested heavily in the merchants guilds and the shipyards. The symbiotic relationship between the Crown, the Church and commerce was formalized in the Triumvirate Council, an advisory body to the kings of BergenSee made up of secular nobles, the Archbishop/Bishops and one appointed representative of each of the major merchants guilds. The Triumvirate Council held the power to raise and collect taxes and tariffs, maintain and police highways and the coasts within 20 miles of the major trading cities.
In 1096, the Triumvirate Council hired a the Archdiocese to oversee the construction of a system of roads across the island. Known as “God Roads”, this system of toll roads got off to a slow start due to poor management and lack of skilled workers. Slaving raids on the Meridian coast were secretly organized by the Bishop of NordHalle and ordained by the Archbishop. Meridian slave labor was kept from the secular members of the Triumvirate Council and slaves were kept away from major cities were the populace was more likely to speak Finnic. When the provincial locals asked the priests overseeing the work what the odd language was that the road workers were speaking, they were told that the workers were, “so overcome with the power of the Lord that they speak in tongues and have devoted themselves, like slaves, to the glory of God.”
In 1148 the Triumvirate Council created the Revenue Guard, considered the first police and coast guard unit in Levantia. The Revenue Guard was commanded by the Lord Commandant who over saw three Sheriffs, responsible for collecting taxes and arresting highwaymen, and three Captains, responsible for collecting tariffs and suppressing smuggling and piracy.
Free Island of BergenSee 1079-1095
Burgundie During The Kistani Middle Ages c.1090s-1450s
Emissaries from the kingdom of Eratz arrived on the Burgundian shores around 1090 to enlist the help of the Burgundian navy against their Aranalen foe. Christoff I accepts the offer in exchange for aid in his ongoing battle with the Kuhlfrosi King Douglas Macrae I. After having pushed the Helvianirian vikings off of the mainland the
WIP Kistan enters, recognizes the principality of Burgundie, offers protection to the BergesMenn from the Kuhlfrosi King Douglas Macrae I 'The Builder', maintain their nordic culture, garrison troops on the island.
In return the BergesMenn become the navy and merchant marine of Kistan, providing ships and sailors. Period characterized by mutual respect.
As the Kuhlfrosi empire expands and fortifies the coast of northern levantia, it becomes harder and harder to maintain the supply lines and political relationship between Kistan and Burgundie.
In the late 1300s and early 1400s Kuhlfros, frustrated with the constant Kistani naval presence off of his coast mounts a series of raids and finally an invasion force into Burgundie to end the threat.
War of Viking Succession
Main Article: War of Viking Succession
Kuhlfrosi Province of Burgundie c.1450s-1812
Burgundian Renaissance c.1470s-1550s
Burgundie benefited enormously from the Kuhlfrosi Renaissance, producing many thinkers, artists and inventors of its own. Globally, the Burgundian Renaissance is viewed as a mere footnote in the Kuhlfrosi Renaissance, but locally it is regarded as one the greatest moments in the nation’s history. The first university on the island was founded in 1427, Universitas Magistrorum in NordHalle, which has become the educational capital of Burgundie, boasting 37 accredited institutions of higher education.
Great Confessional War 1548-1575
The Burgundian Renaissance came to an end as the Great Confessional War's effects began to take hold. Legions of sailors left the ports in support of the newly appointed de Weluta dynasty. Many of the thinkers and learned men, having grown up in the parochial system sought to defend the Catholic faith, and left their academic pursuits. Upon the appointment of Leo III as Emperor of the Holy Levantine Empire many more took up arms for the cause. These soldiers and sailors from the northern reaches of Levantia became known as the Nordman Legions, or simply as the Nordmans.
However, not everyone in Burgundie supported the Catholic cause. Duke Fredrick Wilhelm of Burgundie was a strong advocate for religious tolerance. He suppressed the passage of those attempting to leave. Recognizing the opportunity to rid Levantia of Protestantism, Leo II concluded a deal with Frederick Wilhelm. In 1573, Frederick Wilhelm was allowed to encourage all of the Protestants to leave Levantia via Burgundie or suffer the swords of the Holy Levantine Empire. Using monies from the public treasury Duke Wilhelm became paying for passage for the willing Protestants. The affair caused quite a scandal across Burgundie and the Holy Levantine Empire. The Duke was cut off from the treasury by the Catholic dominated Golden Council of Ten. Quickly running low on funds, the Duke organized a raid on the treasury building that was repulsed. Duke Wilhelm appealed to the Protestants that they donate to support the cause. Soon he had an intricate scheme to finance the Protestants passage. He hired well trained Pukhtun smugglers to make frequent runs from all along the Levantine coast to spirit away the remaining protestants. He took great care to pad his own purse from the donations that he collected. Soon Burgundie was crawling with Protestants, waiting for their ships further abroad. These transports were also arranged by the Pukhtun smugglers in Duke Wilhelm's employ.
The Rise and Fall of the Heneriks Dynasty
The lesser nobles of Burgundie conspired with the Golden Council of Ten to depose Fredrick Wilhelm. They appealed to the Kuhlfrosi court but, the Kuhlfrosi were too busy conducting the war that they did not have time to engage their "back-stabbing, backwater province". The nobles then turned to Emperor Leo II and the Pope for support. Gaining the ear of the Pope, and subsequently Emperor Leo II, the nobles deposed Fredrick Wilhelm in 1574. In recognition for their support of Catholicism, their leader Jarl Heneriks, was named Archduke of the Burgundians, Burgundie was brought into the Holy Levantine Empire, elevated to electorate status and those complicit in the plot were granted lands in Zelthus and Dübenneck. Jarl Heneriks' sister, Christine, was also married off to Emperor Leo II's son, Niall IV, to secure the alliance.
The Trading Companies
Flush with their new formal assimilation into the Imperial system the Heneriks looked to establish a great thalassocracy to reestablish their maritime prowess. Kuhlfrosi and Kiravian merchants had no intention of letting the upstart duchy claim any of their hard earned maritime trade routes and refused to finance the trade expeditions. Instead Jarl I turned to the long time allies of the Burgundians, Kistan. Kistan supplied a large one time fee, but fearing reprisals from Kuhlfros declined any further aid. With this capital, Jarl I ordered the establishment of the Burgundian North Levantine Trading Company (BNLC) to bolster trade in Northern Levantia. The charter gave the company the power to control the trading interests of Burgundian merchants from "the borders of the Kingdoms Kuhlfros and Kistan, and to the ancestor lands (Helvianir)". This was followed by the establishment of the South Levantine Company whose purview was trade in Latium, Urcea, the countries of Southern Levantia and the northern coast of Ixnay, particularly the rich ports of Hekuvia. With the establishment of these Trade Companies, the merchants and noble investors in Burgundie became incredibly rich, but the precedent was set the the government had no direct control over the activities of the companies.
Following Jarl I's death in 1589, his son Jarl II encouraged an explosive growth in the number and reach of the Burgundian based trade companies. The most successful and most notorious was the Burgundian West Punth Trading Company, who conquered and ruled most of Southern Punth from 1600-1811. Founded in 1595, the company's ships set out to establish trade routes to the Kiravian gold coast in southern Punth. The trip was long and arduous and the traders established many emporia on the islands of the Levantine Ocean and along the northern coast of Santheres and Pukhtunkhwa. It was on these expeditions that the Burgundians settled Levantx, GrofSee and Midthavet.
War of Northern Aggression and Burgundian Independence 1811-1837
Main Article: War of Northern Aggression In the early 19th century, Kuhlfros experienced several lost wars, food shortages, and general tension among the conquered people. This peaked with the Republican surge in 1810 which capitalized in 1812 in the Bloodless rebellion where Adenborough citizens stormed the Royal Palace without any killing to find the King with a constitution being written to establish a new Republic. The rebels took this document and remade it and established the United Grand Republic of Kuhlfros. Releasing thier overseas territories and exiting any sort of Monarchial alliances.
WIP Establishment of Viceregal republic, supported by Kirav and Kistan, want to weaken Kuhlfros's influence in the region
Burgundian Industrial Revolution and Trade Route Empire 1812–1904
A rapid period of urbanization and industrialization followed the dissolution of the Kingdom of Culfra, which brought many new resources cheaply into the grasp of the common Burgundians. This economic choice and freedom was a spark that soon turned into a roaring inferno. The desire for these new goods lead to an immediate rebuilding of the Burgundian merchant fleet. The Prince-Elector, patched relations with the Kistani and the Kistani's bankrolled many of the upgrades to the shipyards and merchant guilds. It was at this time that the Helvianirian kings also started to reinvest in Burgundie. Flush with new capital the ports of Kongerhus and NordHalle tripled in shipbuilding capacity every ten years.
The period following independence of Burgundie was characterized by an infectious optimism and patriotic pride. With a sense of stability returned, the trade routes started spreading further than they had ever spread before. Shipping technology allowed travel to all of the continents, and in 1826 the first global circumnavigation by a Burgundian was completed. Having focused primarily on local trade, the expansion to global trade took some adjustment. Larger ships with deeper drafts lead to innovations in harbor dredging but took a toll on the dwindling cedar forests across the island.
Many in the Grafschaften of Dübenneck and Zelthus immigrated to Burgundie proper in search of work. The population of Burgundie had doubled, many of those occupying cities on the island of Burgundie itself. However, not everything about the industrial revolution was positive. A social divide emerged. The people from the island of Burgundie saw themselves as superior to those native to the mainland “Grafschaften”. An uneasy symbiosis was established that was marked by a divide between the resource poor urban Burgundians and the resource rich rural peoples of Dübenneck and Zelthus.
Occupation of Wintergen and Kiravian Pseudo-War
The 1820s a devastating bark beetle blight that almost eliminated the remaining forests on the island. Desperate for more wood as the demand from timber producing areas outstripped the locals ability to harvest it, some enterpirsing NordHallish shipwrights formed the Burgundian North Levantine Company (BNLC) in 1823 and occupied the timber camps of the Kiravian island of Wintergen.
As the reach and influence of the Burgundian merchant marine increased they started to incur the wrath of existing trading powers. Kiravia in particular, with its vast colonial network, saw the resurgence of a powerful maritime Burgundie as problematic. Following the 1823 occupation of the Kiravian island of Wintergen, a tension began to grew between Kiravian and Burgundian merchant sailors. This erupted with the practice of "clipper baiting". Kiravian warships would capture Bugundian ships and their cargoes. This led to an investment in the navy to combat these acts. The Burgundian navy focused its efforts on smaller and faster ships, primarily on schooner rigged yachts. These ships, while incredibly fast, housed only three guns and could not engage the Kiravian sloops-of-war in direct combat. Both Kiravia and Burgundie endorsed prize courts in their ports.
The pseudo-war sparked a ship design frenzy in Burgundie. Faster and sleeker merchant ships were needed to outrun the Kiravian navy. In 1832, the architects of the Doppel Shipyard produced a clipper ship that quickly became the standard of most Burgundian merchant fleets. The ship was unique because it had much more topsail yardage and any previous ship and was comparatively small. This allowed the clipper to achieve incredible speeds. These ships were designed to out pace the Kiravian navy and make the Yytuskia Beef Run in less than 130 days. This was important because, even salted the beef would start to rot after the 135 day mark. Yytuskian beef was prized among the elite because it represented the extent of the Trade Route Empire's reach.
The Yytuskia Beef Run consisted of travel down the Kistani and Urcean coast, across northern Ixprop, criss-crossing the Kindreds Sea, then shooting out from Vahltunskh to Yytuskia. The return leg saw the clippers travel to Akai, along southern Crona then back to Burgundie.
Later, in the 1860s, Doppel Shipyard built extreme clippers to go down the eastern coast of Levantia, over the Levantine Ocean to Santheres and Pukhtunkhwa on the Spice Run. In addition to spices, some enterprising clipper captains started smuggling Pukhtunkhwan heroin in their holds. They would sell the heroin to black markets in Heku and Kiravia. These clipper crews became incredibly rich and would often flaunt their new found wealth upon their return. This drew the ire of the Catholic elite and soon the Revenue Guard was tasked with drug enforcement. Since no heroin touched Levantine soil, they needed a forward operating base.
These trade routes were plagued by piracy. Additional issues arose around 1867 when the first record of "clipper baiting" was recorded. Laden with spices (and sometimes heroin) rival Burgundian and Kiravian clipper ships would lure each other into pirate infested territory. The slower of the two would be captured. The pirates would ransom the goods at less than market value to the faster ship. This led to a cut throat business between clipper captains and Pukhtunkhwan pirate lords. The rash of piracy from Kandara and Pukhtunkhwa and "clipper baiting" spurred the predominantly Catholic Revenue Guard to set up a permanent base on the island of AyerSee and Sodermark in the 1870s. The AyerSee base of operations remains one of the foremost pirate hunting training schools in Greater Ixnay.
Pax Burgundia 1904–1974
Pax Burgundia refers to the first three quarters of the 20th century in which the country maintained steady trading relationships, but for the most part did not engage in external politics. While not a planned period of isolationism, the focus on internal affairs helped the country emerge poised for greatness. Major investments were made in education, healthcare, and infrastructure.
Hyper Urbanization 1899-1963
In the early years of the Pax Burgundia, major investments in infrastructure lead to the opening of the interior of the island of Burgundie. Road and rail soon reduced the trip between Kongerhus and NordHalle from 6 hours to 2. Small villages along the way began to urbanize and soon the rail lines transformed Burgundie into a megalopolis. Anything outside of Kongerhus, Mattiusvale and NordHalle became a suburb of its closest city. The labor force swelled as even more people came from "the counties" and Kharkaars were hired from Pukhtunkhwa.
Urban Decay, Communism and the 1960s
In the late 1950s many of the heavy manufacturing companies on the island of Burgundie began the process of automating their factories. This led to the loss of tens of thousands of jobs by the mid-1960s. Despite this the trend of hyper-urbanization continued until in 1963, when the Prince finally placed a moratorium on further building projects. For the most part the protests where peaceful, led by Markus Louther, a Catholic Priest from the Bishopric of Mattiusvale. The government, fearful of the tide of socialism and populism that were prolific in other areas in Greater Ixnay, responded with violence and an unprecedented suppression of workers rights. Violence against police, mostly by fringe groups resulted and a general distrust for the government started to develop in the younger generation.
The unskilled laborers began to leave Burgundie in favor of the "counties", particularly Zelthus and Dübenneck, to work in the mines and the light manufacturing plants. This "labor drain"'s effects were not immediately felt, as the automation process had made their jobs obsolete, but the gap between the laboring classes and the intellectual classes widened significantly. By 1971, there was a 12% labor shortage in the services and manufacturing industry and companies were forced to offer much higher wages and other incentives in order to entice the workers back. By the early 1980s many companies were buying apartment blocks and high rises near their factories and subsidizing their rent in order as an incentive. These "company rows" had become standard practice and by the late 80s, every manufacturing plant offered housing to all of its employees.
Second Burgundian Renaissance 1976-present
In 1976 the new Prince, Jörg II, embarked on a mission to reengage the world. Throughout the next decade he embarked on a goodwill tour conducted through Levantia and beyond. The tour was lauded for mending and strengthening relationships with Kuhlfros, Kistan, Urcea and Kiravia, and reasserting active Burgundian participation in the Holy Levantine Imperial Diet and Collegial Electorate.
A resurgence in profile lead to an increase in trade and financial gain. Burgundian shipwrights again began to build world class ships, and the merchant class thrived on the new business. No longer were they just operating ships for trade to and from Burgundie, but Burgundian companies like O’Shea Container Shipping, Lansing Lines and Doppel Gangway became some of the premier merchant fleets in Greater Ixnay. In addition, new industries, particularly insurance and global maritime incident response/command, brought enormous gains to the labor market.
Economic reform 1996–2004
Prince Kliebold III, set about a policy of deregulation, to attract additional businesses to Burgundie. Grasping the potential of the internet, Abs completely deregulated financial transactions conducted electronically. While this brought countless billions into Burgundian banks, it had the adverse effect of making Burgundie a haven for illegal or financial questionable accounts.
Great Recession 2004–2008
Following the leaking of a report that the Revenue Guard was looking to seize thousands of accounts that they deemed illicit, many account holders pulled their money out of the Burgundian banking system. 2 in 5 banks failed. A national referendum on a bailout proposal was held and on Feb 9, 2005 the people chose not bailout the banks. Foreclosure signs became commonplace, particularly in the “Raugrafschaften” (undeveloped counties) where fewer people had contingency plans. The Golden Council of Ten enacted a 2 year no cost financial planning campaign for those who had lost more than 25% of their net worth. By 2006 the economy had begun to regrow and by 2008 the recession was declared over. Viceroy Abs’ deregulation policy was held responsible for the recession and his approval ratings have yet to recover.
Urban Renewal (Smarter and Greener)
Burgundie generally pursues a policy of neutrality, with the exception of the obstruction of trade. A strong Navy of Burgundie, Airforce of Burgundie and Revenue Guard is maintained by the government, but can be supplemented, by Viceregal decree, by elements of the two private navies operated by the Maritime Response Group™ or Roth Insurance LLC.
Since Burgundie is no longer a commodities exporter, almost all of the trade carried out by Burgundian merchant fleets is between other nations. Because of this Burgundie maintains a considerable trade deficit, but uses its diverse maritime revenue to keep the economy booming. Since 1996, there has been a huge investment in computing, light manufacturing and higher education which has helped to keep the unemployment rates at a steady 3%.
Salaries are high, except in inland regions of the Raugrafschaften which is a manifestation of the cultural disparity between those born on the Burgundie and those born in the “Raugrafschaften” that continues to exist. However, the advent of social media is bringing the citizens of Burgundie closer all the time.