Burgundian Maritime Navigation Administration
|Burgundian Maritime Navigation Administration|
|Ensign of the Burgundian Maritime Navigation Administration|
|Formed||September 30, 1967|
|Preceding agencies||Royal Burgundian Lighthouse Service|
Viceimperial Burgundian Lighthouse Service
|Parent agency||Revenue Guard|
The Autoritat de Navegacion Marin de Burgundie (Eng. Burgundian Maritime Navigation Administration), also known as the 'Lighthouse Administration', is the agency of the Government of Burgundie that is the general lighthouse authority for Burgundie and Kistan. From the time of its creation in 1816 as the Viceimperial Burgundian Lighthouse Service, to its successor, the Royal Burgundian Lighthouse Service until 1967 when it was merged into the Revenue Guard. It was responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of all lighthouses, lightvessels, light towers, range lights, pier head lights, light buoys, weather radar, and AIS in Burgundie. In 1841 the Revenue Guard entered into a compact with the Kistani Office of Maritime Trade. This compact enlisted the Revenue Guard to administer and maintain the lighthouses of Kistan. As such, the Revenue Guard counts the Kistani as Burgundian lighthouses, but with the unique status "phares contractuels" (Eng. Contractual Lighthouses).
Many of the phare (Eng. lighthouses) in Burgundie have been built and maintained by the Revenue Guard (since 1967) and its predecessors, the Viceimperial Burgundian Lighthouse Service (1816–1967). Before the Viceimperial Burgundian Lighthouse Service was established, local collectors of customs were responsible for lighthouses. As their importance to navigation has declined the Revenue Guard has upgraded many lighthouses to also be GPS and AIS beacons. Burgundie is one of the few nations that still mans lighthouses and maintains the light functionality as part of its maritime navigation service.
Phare denoted the difference from its predecessor the pila pira (Eng. pyre, lit. fire pile) in that is included housing accommodations for a lighthouse keeper. In the 1820s there was an attempt by the Viceimperial Burgundian Lighthouse Service to adopt the word cabina della pira (Eng. Lighthouse), but the traditionalists in the maritime services never used the new word and the last recorded publication of cabina della pira was on a nautical chart of Wintergen from 1865.
The first maritime navigation "lights" in Burgundian history were known as "sute", the Levzeish word for fire, circa 3000BCE. These pyres were lit near villages when fishermen were not home before dark or when they were returning home during the storms that are frequent in the Kilikas Storm Belt. This practice remained unchanged until Latinics set up more permanent settlements in Burgundie around the year 500CE. At that time they introduced more permanent structures called "pila pira" (Eng. fire pile). The first pila pira was built in Vilauristre in 1084 to facilitate trade with mainland Levantia. The pyre had a stone base 18 meters tall and platform for a massive pyre 12 meters squared. The office of Royal Fire Keeper was coveted during the Christensen Dynasty the Fire Keeper was appointed by the Royal Treasurer and was considered the primary customs officer in the region. In 1175 a pila pira was built in NordHalle, when Prince Stränge I moved the capital to evade capture by Kuhlfrosi forces. This enabled the Bergendii to become early adopters of nocturnal navigation and docking, a technique the doubled the amount of time they trade, giving them an advantage over other Kilikas Sea powers.
The Eratzian government had seen the benefit of the pyres and commissioned that they be constructed for each large port in the empire. By 1320 a total of 86 pyres had been built, 12 of them located on the Isle of Burgundie. The pyres were never permanent structures and had to be rebuilt after heavy storms. In the 1440s a new technique was introduced that added a layer of permanency to them, turf was added on top of the stones so that the rocks were enveloped and were less likely to become dislodged. After the Kuhlfrosi capture of the Isle of Burgundie in the 1450s the prominence of Burgundian pyres fell dramatically. The Kuhlfrosi royal government enforced instability to unseat the Burgundian dominance of trade in the Kilikas, now called the period of disorganized Dukes, in favor of its own merchant fleets.
In the 1530s, during the Kuhlfrosi renaissance, the pila pira returned as more permanent stone and wooden structures. This new style of lighthouses also included living quarters and was called "phare" after the great lighthouse of (Heku or Urcea claim this, first come first served) as part of the neoclassical movement in the renaissance. They were not built to any specifications but were often over 10 meters tall, with a semi-covered platform for the fire. What was notable about Burgundian phare the was the use of parabolic mirrors to intensify the light from the fire. This coupled with the higher fire platform made the Burgundian trade ports much easier to find than their Kuhlfrosi counterparts and again made Burgundian ports, specifically NordHalle, the ports of choice for traders from Kirav and the Cronan powers looking to do business with Kuhlfros.
The design remained largely unchanged until the 1780s when Zwallerkadian whale oil became available to the Burgundian market. At first considered a luxury item, the oil soon flooded the marketplace. Enterprising whale oil importers petitioned Archduke Rienholdt XI to convert the phare at NordHalle and Vilauristre to the new substance. The smaller storage requirement allowed offshore lighthouses to be resupplied less frequently, the consistency of the burn was notably better than wood fires and the brightness of the flame was considerably better. By 1809 most of the Burgundian pharehad been converted to whale oil, at great personal expense to the crown. This also led the term "whale oil salesman", a Burgundian term meaning: a shrewd, perhaps disingenuous, business persona as the crown was often approached by merchants purporting to be Zwallerkadian oil merchants and selling them fish oil or other substances.
Some lighthouses, especially those overseas are purported to be hubs of Burgundian intelligence gathering.
26 lighthouses across the thalassocracy of Burgundie are owned and maintained by non-governmental organizations, 11 by the Seager Corporation, 6 by O’Shea Container Shipping, 4 by the Lighthouse Preservation Corps, 3 by Doppel Gangway and 2 by Beacon Business Continuity and Incident Management.